Blog | Electric Space Heater Safety Tips
Winter has arrived, and with it comes the bitter cold. Electric space heaters are used more during the extreme cold to help keep temperatures in your home comfortable. Here are some helpful tips to stay safe while using a space heater.
Before using any space heater
- When purchasing a heater, ask the salesperson if it is safety-certified.
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully.
- Inspect heaters for cracks, broken plugs, or loose connections. If frayed, worn, or damaged DO NOT use the heater.
During use of the space heater
- Heaters must be kept 3 feet away from anything that can burn, such as curtains, paper, clothing, or rugs.
- Place the heater on a level and flat surface. Never place heaters on cabinets, tables, furniture, or carpet. These places can over heat, and can cause a fire.
- Always keep electric heaters away from water, including placing them in the bathroom or kitchen areas. Also, NEVER touch an electric heater if you are wet.
- Place space heaters out of high traffic areas and doorways where they may pose as a tripping hazard.
- Always plug a space heater directly into an outlet. DO NOT use power strips or extension cords. DO NOT plug any other electrical device into the same outlet as the heater.
- Frequently check the heater plug, the cord, the wall outlet, and the outlet face plate to see if it is HOT! If it is, discontinue use of the heater immediately. If it is the outlet that is hot, call a professional electrician to check it out. If it is the heater that is hot, then have it repaired by a professional or replace it.
- Never run the heater’s cord under any rugs or carpet.
- Never leave space heaters unattended. Make sure to turn it off when leaving the room or going to sleep.
It is always important to keep your family and friends safe. Remember, electric space heaters are only meant for temporary use. If your furnace does break down during the winter cold, make sure to call a professional to schedule an appointment for them to look at it. We are the best Wichita AC Repair and heat and air Wichita KS business!